We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse this repository, you give consent for essential cookies to be used. You can read more about our Privacy and Cookie Policy.

Durham e-Theses
You are in:

The history of Newport (Essex) grammar school 1588 - 1938

Phillips W. T., (1968) The history of Newport (Essex) grammar school 1588 - 1938. Masters thesis, Durham University.



Newport (Essex) Grammar School was founded in 1588 by Mrs. Joyce Frankland, a wealthy patroness of learning, who endowed the school with tithes at Banstead and property in London and .Hoddesdon. The history of the school shows the changes in its function within the local community and in the developments which took place in the curriculum, organisation and social composition of the school as a result of policies laid down by the Trustees, Charity Commissioners, Governors, and by legislation both local and national. As an important support of civil and ecclesiastical policy the school flourished, providing a narrow, ' linguistic curriculum for local boys, the sons of clerics and of the gentry of Essex and neighbouring counties, many of whom proceeded to Cambridge. With the growth of industry and commerce during the 18th century, new forms of secondary education came into being and private academies offered a vocational or commercial curriculum. As a result, grammar schools declined. At Newport however, in 1779 a successful boarding side was developed by James Buck, with many able boys proceeding to Cambridge. With his departure, boarding was discontinued and the trustees authorised an elementary curriculum. In 1828 the Charity commissioners encouraged a revival in boarding in order to establish a classics side and a new building was authorised. A small Latin class was developed while, with the coming of the railway and the growth of business in neighbouring towns, "merchants' accounts was introduced-into the curriculum. Three masters followed in quick succession an4, while the Schools Inquiry CoJrtmission deliberated on its future, the school was placed under the charge of the usher with the result . that numbers declined sharply. The new scheme of 187 4 envisaged a Second Grade School at Newport and under Mr Waterhouse a new building was opened to provide a practical education for boys up to fifteen. Boarding was again successfully introduced and, with the provision of a swimming bath, gymnasium, and several acres of playing fields, sport was fostered laboratory was added in 1896 and a strong science side developed, while the increasing number of boys entering the universities and professions indicated that the school had grown beyond its second grade status. Thus when, in 1910, financial difficulties forced the Governors to apply for secondary status under the 1902 Act, this was readily granted. During his: period of office, Dr. Wyeth faced the problem of rising numbers and overcrowding and also. engaged in a struggle to lengthen school life and develop advanced work; these problems were aggravated by war. and the . subsequent economic depression. After 1916 the school experienced a rapid expansion that was so marked a feature of secondary education during and after the war. In 1937, two further laboratories and classrooms were built. Advanced work developed slowly and it was in. the 1920's, with the reorganisation of school leaving examinations and the incentive of financial inducements by the Board, that a. small sixth form was established. Since reorganisation in 1910, the school had been supported by direct grant and also aided by the local authority. In 1922 the Board's grant regulations were changed and as the introduction of the Burnham scale of salaries had increased the deficit and the Essex Education Committee's contribution now exceeded all other sources of income, the school was classified as a deficiency grant school. From then on, the school' s financial dependence on the L.E.A. increased. To accord with the L.E.A's policy in its own secondary schools, all places were made special places from September 1935, when all boys had to pass the General Admission Examination, and the school lost control over its admissions. After some 'initial friction the school governors and the L.E.A. worked closely together until the end of the arrangements in 1947.

Item Type:Thesis (Masters)
Award:Master of Education
Thesis Date:1968
Copyright:Copyright of this thesis is held by the author
Deposited On:14 Mar 2014 16:12

Social bookmarking: del.icio.usConnoteaBibSonomyCiteULikeFacebookTwitter